He will choose our inheritance for us,
The excellence of Jacob whom He loves.
This short thought by email is directed to pastors, preachers, and Bible teachers. I hope to bring you a brief word of encouragement after a weekend of serving God in whatever way He has given you to serve.
Think of this wonderful line from Psalm 47:4: He will choose our inheritance for us. The psalmist was confident in the wisdom and goodness of the great King. He was happy to let the great King choose our inheritance.
It is a glorious fact that our great King Jesus has chosen the inheritance of His people. Ephesians 1:3-6 is just one passage that describes some of His choosing for us:
– He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.
– He chose us to be holy and blameless before Him in love.
– He chose us to be adopted as sons and daughters into His family.
It is a wise prayer, to ask our great King Jesus to choose our inheritance for us. We often get into trouble by wanting to choose our own inheritance.
– We sometimes want to choose our own blessings. One has health, another has wealth, a third has great talents; each wishes they had what the other has. Yet it is far better to let God choose our blessings.
– We sometimes want to choose our own calling. One sees the calling of another and thinks that the calling of the other is better, or they want to imitate the calling of another instead of running their own race.
– We sometimes want to choose our own crosses. We think that our own problems are so much worse than others, and we think that we could bear any number of crosses – except the one He chose for us.
The second line of Psalm 47:4 shows us why we can trust Jesus to choose our inheritance: the excellence of Jacob whom He loves. We know that for Jesus’ sake and because we are in Him, God is for us and not against us. He loves us as His chosen; because He chose us we are happy to let Him choose our inheritance for us.
As pastors, preachers, and Bible teachers we can be at peace with where we are at, and with whatever God may has for us in the future, because a loving God has chosen our inheritance for us.
Blessings to You in Jesus’ Name – David Guzik