Themes this Week
The Privileges and Duty of God’s People
Suffering and Submission
The Letters of 1 and 2 Peter were written by the prominent disciple of Jesus by that name.
He was not merely an apostle, but there is a sense in which he was the leader of the apostolic group. Peter was an important and influential man in the early church. Considering the author, the first Christians would receive this letter with a sense of importance.
Peter’s name is mentioned in the gospels more than anyone except the name of Jesus. No one speaks in the gospels as often as Peter did, and Jesus spoke more to Peter than to any other individual.
· Jesus rebuked Peter more than any other disciple.
· Peter was the only disciple who dared to rebuke Jesus.
· Peter confessed Jesus more boldly and accurately than any other disciple.
· Peter denied Jesus more forcefully and publicly than any other disciple.
· Jesus praised Peter more than any other disciple.
· Jesus addressed Peter as Satan alone among the disciples.